LORI R. DORN
email: lori at hrlori.com
Human Resources professional with progressive, proven leadership experience in directing workforce development programs and initiatives. Keen ability to partner with various departments to understand business objectives and identify corresponding Human Resources needs. Strong communication, interpersonal, public relations, and leadership abilities.
Employee Relations – Performance Management – Legal Compliance – Harassment Investigation – Policy Development and Implementation – Leave Administration – Management Coaching – Staff Training – Staff Supervision – Recruiting/ATS – HRIS/ Payroll Systems – Benefits Administration – Compensation Analysis – International Legal Compliance
Fab.com, New York, NY 11/11 – present
Senior Director, Human Resources
Joined rapidly growing social commerce company as first HR presence. Built HR Department from ground up to implement HR standards, practices and policies. Revamped and introduced employee handbook, job descriptions and performance management process. Established employee relations function, balancing the needs of the company with the needs of employees. Introduced and implemented TriNet PEO. Acted as business partner to the company’s international entities.
- Researched and implemented system solutions to streamline company HR functions such as performance management, time management and recruiting
- Scaled company HR functions from 65 to 250+ employees within 8 months in United States
- Performed FLSA audits and advised corrective action leading to organizational compliance
BuyWithMe.com, New York, NY (company closed in 2011) 11/10 – 11/11
Human Resources Director
Primary HR for e-commerce company of 200 employees. Responsible for the effective and timely execution of HR functions concerning performance management, development, payroll, benefits, recruiting and employee relations. Supervised recruiting staff and HR Assistant
- Researched and implemented system solutions to streamline company HR functions such as performance management, online PTO tracking, payroll benchmarking and recruiting.
- Scaled company to 200+ employees in 2 main offices with employees spanning 15+ states.
- Developed company-wide policies and procedures to reduce company risk and educate employees.
- Oversaw Reduction in Force (RIF) of over 100 employees due to company’s inability to gain suffient funding.
Federated Media Publishing, San Francisco, CA (position eliminated) 10/08 – 1/10
Human Resources Director
Sole HR for growing online advertising company founded by John Battelle. Responsible for 91 full-time employees in San Francisco, New York and Toronto. Implemented performance management, learning and development, recruiting and employee relations. Provided evaluation and risk assessment of employee related issues. Implemented strategic HR initiatives such as succession planning and organizational development.
- Conducted extensive analysis of existing organization and developed plan to update all policies, procedures and operations.
- Investigated incidents of inappropriate conduct, harassment and indiscretion in a timely manner successfully resolving the issues and saving the organization both time and money in avoiding court proceedings.
- Established and implemented company’s online performance management program ensuring annual assessment compliance for all employees.
Kensington Computer Products, Redwood Shores, CA 10/06 – 9/08
Human Resources Business Partner
Partnered with department heads in California and Canada. Determined change management strategy for the region by understanding operational initiatives, aligning operational change needs with HR-related actions, and providing advice to divisional, regional, and market leaders to ensure consistent execution of policies, procedures, programs, and initiatives. Oversaw all employee relations. Supervised administrative staff.
- Proactively sought out unique recruiting techniques through targeted job boards thus saving the company thousands of dollars.
- Investigated incidents of inappropriate conduct, harassment and indiscretion in a timely manner, resulting in no legal claims or legal violations during the 2 years of my employment.
- Served as key business unit partner and division trainer for company-wide HR initiatives including succession planning, performance management initiatives, and HRIS business system implementation.
Walden House, Inc, San Francisco, CA 10/01 – 5/06
Human Resources Manager
Managed Human Resources Department for non-profit substance abuse and mental health treatment organization of 500+ employees at various locations throughout California. Developed and implemented appropriate action plans for diverse initiatives, providing recommendations on talent strengths and development needs. Investigated employee grievances. Mediated conflict resolution between employees at various levels. Worked closely with management to ensure company-wide compliance with employment laws through monthly in-house trainings and coaching sessions. Supervised Payroll, Recruiting and Benefits departments.
- Promptly responded to legal complaints from HRC, EEOC/DFEH and other legal agencies. Acted as representative in unemployment, Small Claims and DFEH/EEOC hearings and reduced the number of unemployment claims against the organization by 35%.
- Performed FLSA audits and advised corrective action leading to organizational status correction and overtime payments before any claims were brought before the Labor Board.
Freestyle Interactive, San Francisco, CA (position eliminated) 10/00 – 8/01
Human Resources Manager
Sole HR for small interactive design firm of 35 employees. Created and updated Employee and Manager Handbooks. Coordinated with legal counsel to ensure company regulatory compliance. Recruited creative, administrative, marketing and technical staff using focused recruiting tactics such as targeted websites and hiring fairs. Implemented and administered employee on-boarding. Conducted exit interviews and ensured proper employee exit procedures including final check and COBRA arrangement. Administered employee benefits and maintained personnel records.
- Improved staff orientation, training, professional development, and mid-level management, thus, resulting in better hires and increased employee retention.
- Accomplished extensive analysis of existing organization and developed plan to update all policies, procedures, and operations.
Computec Media U.S.A., San Francisco, CA (company closed in 2000) 6/99 – 9/00
Human Resources/Office Manager
Sole HR and Office Manager for magazine of 70 employees. Worked in conjunction with executive staff in resolving employee concerns. Advised on corrective action/probation plans. Created Employee Handbook ensuring State and Federal compliance. Conducted employee exit interviews and proper exit procedures. Oversaw all employee benefit plans. Coordinated applicant recruiting, hiring and employee orientations. Oversaw all office purchasing and price
- Conducted a thorough investigation on major sexual harassment claim through interviewing all pertinent witnesses and proposing advice to the management on subsequent steps.
HRLori, New York, NY 6/00 – present
Human Resources Consultant
Developed and directed HR functions for various clients on a contract basis, including but not limited to, creating and implementing policy and procedure, developing job descriptions, providing management coaching, conducting compliance review/advice, and other HR functions as necessary.
- Clients included: blip.tv, Dotgo, Dogster, Rocketboom, Mule Design, Laughing Squid, enVie Interactive and Bridgeport Financial
State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton, Binghamton, NY
Awarded B.A. in English/Creative Writing
New School for Social Research, New York, NY
Awarded M.A. in Media Studies
San Francisco State University
Awarded Certificate in Human Resources Management
Writing, songwriting, singing, playing guitar, making jewelry, cooking, reading, blogging, traveling, learning Spanish, French and German.
Available upon request